VIRTUS is an Archdiocese of Washington program focused on protecting our children. This program is required for any adult who volunteers their time in any Catholic school, including field trips, etc. The VIRTUS program helps participants understand why wrongdoings happen to children and how we can be more aware of how to protect our children. In addition to VIRTUS, all school volunteers are required to have a background check and sign a Diocesan Code of Conduct. VIRTUS training, Code of Coduct, and background checks are also required for all school staff and faculty.
NEW POLICY THIS YEAR: ANYONE WHO VOLUNTEERS IN OUR SCHOOL WILL HAVE TO BE FINGERPRINTED. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN FINGERPRINTED THROUGH THE ARCHDIOCESE OF WASHINGTON, YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE RE-FINGERPRINTED.
Complete and return the Volunteer Application Form to Mrs. Patty Bechtel at the front desk at St. Pius X Regional School. Register for an account on VIRTUS:
1. Go to www.virtus.org
2. Select your Organization - Washington, DC (Archdiocese)
3. Create a User ID and Password
4. Complete the Registration Screens
5. Primary Location for Volunteering- St. Pius X (329) Bowie
6. Continue answering questions
7. Schedule your training session
8. Schedule your fingerprinting screening (memo attached) Fee required
9. After you have attended the training session, please sign and return the Acknowledgement form, page 56 of the booklet you will be given to Patty Bechtel at the front desk. Also bring the Certificate of Training Attendance and we will make a copy and you will keep the original for your files.
Once you have completed the process, you will be cleared to perform all volunteer duties within the Archdiocese of Washington.